Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Limiting Garbage can be Frugal

Dear Diary,
This week marks the beginning of a new era of Garbage Collection in my community. From this day forward, garbage collectors will pick up only 2 bags of trash per household with a 1 bag limit being strongly encouraged. (if you absolutely must put out 2 bags the 2nd must be clear so that all contents can be viewed and must not contain any recyclables or compost material of any sort)
By early in 2010 a 1 bag limit will be strictly enforced. (Large families with many young children and persons with medical issues can apply to be exempt from the 1 bag limit).
While many folks seem to have a problem with this, I don't understand why this should be a problem. Our Community has a great recycling program that accepts a lot of stuff and we are also fortunate to have a Green Cart Composting program.
I can honestly say I have no problem with the 1 bag limit cause I've been doing it for sometime now. In fact it`s all a part of my Frugal Plan.
Less garbage means you've bought less stuff and perhaps recycled and reused more. It also means you need to purchase fewer garbage bags to hold it all. I know that garbage bags aren't a major expense but if you`re counting pennies it all adds up! Honestly does anyone enjoy buying garbage bags just to throw them out?? I sure as heck don't. If there are people out there, who like spending money on trash bags, maybe there's a market for Designer ones???
I can't even remember the last time we bought garbage bags, cause we're in the habit of putting out 1 small grocery bag of garbage per week.
Although we do use reusable cloth bags at stores that charge for plastic ones, I greatly accept ones from stores that don't charge for them, simply for trash. So that for me equals free trash bags. Gotta love it!
frugaldebb

No comments:

Post a Comment